A quick overview of upcoming events...
*Additions or changes may occur. Some dates/times provided closer to season or event.
• Monthly Garden Tours every 2nd Saturday, 9 am - 12 pm. And third Sundays 1-4pm (June, July August ) No reservations needed, just stop by. Upcoming Tours - Saturday, Sept 13 9 am-12 pm and Sunday, Sept 21 1-4 pm
Every Month. All Year. Always Free.
At R.W. Monk Gardens.
• Geocacheing - All year. Free. Four Geocaches hidden in the 20+ acre environment.
A fun family activity. Bring your GPS device and start searching.
At R.W. Monk Gardens.
• Autumn Fest in the Garden – September 27th. The kids will love it!
The Robert W. Monk Garden’s first annual Autumn Fest in the Garden will be held Saturday, September 27, from 11 AM until 3 PM. Activities include pumpkin decorating, fall bingo, food, drinks, a bake sale, letterboxing, tours, math in the Garden, face painting, and each child will receive a pumpkin. In addition, Professional Story Teller Joni Hahn will be at the Gardens to delight all with her stories.
Admission is $1 per person. A fun-filled day is planned with activities for everyone. The event will be held rain or shine so please come out and join in the festivities.
We would like to thank Wausau Altrusa for sponsoring the brat/hotdog/chip fry, Benedictine Living Community for sponsoring the autumn harvest bake sale and Noon Optimists for sponsoring the pumpkin giveaway.
• Science in the Garden - Saturday, October 18 1-3p, more details coming soon
• Yoga in the Gardens: River Flow Yoga: Fresh Air – Fresh Perspective – Outdoor yoga invites you to feel rooted in your foundation while you reach for the sky and breathe in the gifts of summer. With no walls, fresh air and your senses awakened, foster a fresh perspective that will help you stay physically and mentally healthy for family, work and favorite activities Bring your mat, blanket, water bottle and dress in layers. Classes will be held the following Sundays this summer in the Gardens: Aug 24, Sept. 14 from 5 – 6 PM at a cost of $10 per class. See the River Flow Yoga website for more details, as there will be no inclement weather location.
RW Monk Gardens Receives Grants and Donations
The Robert W. Monk Gardens recently received a $40,000 grant from the Community Foundation of North Central Wisconsin for our new Kitchen Garden. Support for the project was provided through the Wausau Marathon County Fund and the Nils Folke Jr. and Jean B. Becker Legacy Fund of the CFNCW.
The B.A. and Esther Greenheck Foundation recently awarded $100,000 to the Robert W. Monk Gardens for the Kitchen Garden project.
The Kiwanis Club of Greater Wausau (evening Kiwanis) recently donated $3,300 to the Monk Gardens, an urban, non-profit, natural sanctuary open to the public on 21 acres on Wausau's west side. The donation will be used to help build a kitchen and bathroom facility to host small groups. Pictured is Kiwanis Vice-president Pat Morath and Vickie Richmond Hawkins, President of the Monk Gardens board.